Friday, July 2, 2010

Priceless treasures from my great grandmother's chest!

I’ve spent all this morning digging into my great grandmother's chest. It was full of handmade treasures that she had made when she was young. Beautiful embroidery, handwoven silk creations, knitting, and many more, dating more than 100 years old!

pillowcase silk woven with loompillowcase silk woven with loom

Here you can see a couple of her creations. Two pillowcases made of silk thread handwoven using a floor loom. In the center of each pillowcase there is embroidery made of silk thread. The two embroideries represent the greek letters "lamda" and "gama", the initials of her name, Loukritia Galanopoulou. The signs of wear from time are evident and can only be forgiven as great patina…

embroidery letters made of silk thread
 pillowcase corner silk woven with loom
pillowcase silk woven with loom

It was a real adventure; I might say that I was a little bit overwhelmed by emotions looking at these handmade treasures. I’ve never met my great grandmother, but I think that her creations were a part of her heart, and I get to keep them!

Waiting for your comments!

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment