Thursday, July 22, 2010

Greek Folklore - new column

Greece has a very rich folklore. The diverse geographical features of greek land and the varied historical course of its people have created a rich cultural tradition of a distinct character, consisting of a mix of stories, music, dances, legends, oral history, popular beliefs, traditions, and so forth, within the different greek regions. An important element of greek folklore are the artifacts, such as decorative items, handmade clothing, and other crafts, incorporated into every day life and events.

What interests me more from this greek "material culture" is of course Embroidery. One of the most important handicrafts that flowered in Greece especially in the 18th, 19th and early 20th Centuries. Whenever I visit a place in Greece, I always visit its folklore museum, in order to understand how people lived, what they used in their everyday lives, how they were dressed, and so on. It is amazing how every city, every town in Greece has its own embroidery artifacts.

So, I am starting a new column in my blog, which I name "Greek Folklore". I will try to introduce you to greek traditional embroidery and needlecrafts in general from different regions in Greece. I hope you will enjoy it!

Here is a taste of what is to follow.

Embroidered Thracian tsevres from the folklore museum of Komotini.

KP


No comments:

Post a Comment